1431 17th Avenue, McPherson, KS 67460
Tel: (620) 241-6559
Email: maswu@ maswu.org
Fax: (620) 241-2640
The main adminstrative office and the transfer station for MASWU are located at 1431 17th Avenue, McPherson KS. Questions about service should be directed to these offices by mail, email, phone or in person.
- Administrative Office Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday
- Waste Disposal Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday and 8:00am-4:00pm on Saturdays
- Vulnerable/Elderly Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:00am-12:00pm (through 4/25/20)
The transfer station was opened in the year 2000 after the closing of the solid waste landfill. The transfer station accepts almost all solid waste generated in McPherson County, both commercial and residential. Materials unloaded at the transfer station ultimately get transferred to another location for further processing or permanent disposal.
There are several designated areas at the transfer station for residents to unload their debris. Those areas include a recycling area, a bin for tires, bins for scrap metal and most large appliances, bins for construction and demolition materials, an area for unloading of yard materials, and area for general trash, and an area for drop off of Freon using items. Customer will be requested to separate their load at the facility if they are hauling more than one type of item. There is staff at the transfer station to assist in the correct placement of material, but we do not provide pull-off assistance. If you are unable to unload your vehicle yourself, MASWU recommends that whomever helped you load your vehicle come with you to help you unload.
Materials Accepted at the Transfer Station
There are several designated areas at the transfer station for unloading debris. Items must be sorted as they are unloaded. MASWU does not provide pull-off assistance.
Transfer Station Drop Off Areas
- Metal received is picked up by a company that recycles metal. It is important that no trash, wood, plastic or any material other than metal be placed in the metal boxes.
- Materials NOT accepted in the metal bins:
- Gas tanks & fuel containers
- Engine parts, frames or bodies
- Closed drums or containers (including paint cans)
- Burn barrell material
- Water softener tanks or conditioners
- Microwave ovens and other small appliances
- Metal doors or metal frame doors with plastic, fiberglass or glass.
- Propane or freon cylinders or bottles
- We do accept the materials listed above, but not in the metal bin. Some go to the household hazardous waste facility, and others go in different areas at the transfer station. Check with the transfer station gatehouse or call for more information.
- You may dispose of up to 4 residentential car tires per trip with no charge. Additional tires disposed of in a single trip will have a small per tire charge.
- Tires other than residential tires (larger than 17 inches or an implement tire) will have a charge.
- Freon items
- There is a small, per item fee on any item that may have contained freon.
- Common freon items include but are not limited to: refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners
- Construction and Demolition
- Large quantities of C&D waste should be taken to the MASWU Construction and Demolition Landfill. Small quantities may be placed int he C&D box at the Transfer Station. The transfer station is not equipped to allow truck dumping in the C&D containers. If you wish to use a dump trailer, you will need to take the load to the landfill or you will be required to pay the trash tonnage to dump on our tipping floor.
- Check out the Landfill Page for what constitues consturction and demolition waste.