Household Hazardous Waste
MASWU is permitted to run a facility for the disposal of household (residential) hazardous waste materials at no cost to residents of McPherson County.
OPEN THURSDAYS: 9:00am-3:30pm
Located to the South of the MASWU Transfer Station. The entrance is on First St. (used to be Limestone Rd.) between Interstate 135 and 17th Avenue. GOOGLE MAPS WILL NOT TAKE YOU TO THE CORRECT PLACE. If you have difficulty finding it, simply come to the transfer station gate house (1431 17th Ave., McPherson) and we will point you in the right direction.
A variety of materials from your home may be brought out to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility for proper disposal. A general list of HHW products is below. For detailed HHW information, click on the MASWU Guide for Household Hazardous Waste. There is a 5 gallon limit to liquids, and a 50 pound limit to powders. If you have more volume than 5 gallons or 50 pounds, charges will be applied. Call (620) 241-4432 and leave a message if you would like more information.
- AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS
- Antifreeze, transmission fluid, used oil, brake fluid, lead-acid batteries
- PAINT/FINISHING PRODUCTS
- Oil and latex based paint, spray paint, thinners, varnishes, sealers, lacquers, stains, paint strippers
- GARDEN AND PEST CONTROL PRODUCTS
- Pesticides and Herbicides
- HOUSEHOLD CLEANING PRODUCTS
- Oven cleaners, toilet cleaners, drain cleaners, disinfectants
- Frying oil, rechargeable batteries
Empty containers that have been cleaned out, or containers where the product has dried out, such as paint, may be thrown away in your regular trash as long as the lid is off.
Commercial Hazardous Waste
Batteries are a fire hazard and cannot go in your regular trash. Please call MASWU HHW for more information. (620) 241-4432.