Household Hazardous Waste

MASWU is permitted to run a facility for the disposal of household (residential) hazardous waste materials at no cost to residents of McPherson County.

OPEN THURSDAYS: 9:00am-3:30pm

Located to the South of the MASWU Transfer Station. The entrance is on First St. (used to be Limestone Rd.) between Interstate 135 and 17th Avenue. GOOGLE MAPS WILL NOT TAKE YOU TO THE CORRECT PLACE. If you have difficulty finding it, simply come to the transfer station gate house (1431 17th Ave., McPherson) and we will point you in the right direction.

A variety of materials from your home may be brought out to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility for proper disposal. A general list of HHW products is below. For detailed HHW information, click on the MASWU Guide for Household Hazardous Waste. There is a 5 gallon limit to liquids, and a 50 pound limit to powders. If you have more volume than 5 gallons or 50 pounds, charges will be applied. Call (620) 241-4432 and leave a message if you would like more information.

    • Antifreeze, transmission fluid, used oil, brake fluid, lead-acid batteries
    • Oil and latex based paint, spray paint, thinners, varnishes, sealers, lacquers, stains, paint strippers
    • Pesticides and Herbicides
    • Oven cleaners, toilet cleaners, drain cleaners, disinfectants
    • Frying oil, rechargeable batteries

Empty containers that have been cleaned out, or containers where the product has dried out, such as paint, may be thrown away in your regular trash as long as the lid is off.

Commercial Hazardous Waste

Materials from commercial, industrial and agricultural sources are disposed of for a fee. Determination for commercial, industrial or agricultural hazardous waste disposal is on a case by case basis. Please call the landfill at (620) 654-3793 for more information. Commercial, industrial, and agricultural entities with large quantities of hazardous waste need to find a company that specializes in commercial disposal of hazardous wastes.

Batteries are a fire hazard and cannot go in your regular trash. Please call MASWU HHW for more information. (620) 241-4432.